byITsizePro.co.uk Search

Saturday 25 September 2010

Grammer time!

As I have just re-started my degree with the Open University in Modern Languages (French and Spanish), I thought I would refresh my grammar and share it with the world!  As I go through the course I will post more on here regarding French and Spanish grammar.
verb is a doing word which describes what someone or something does or what happens to them.
noun is a naming word for a living being, a thing or an idea e.g. woman, desk, happiness, Kevin.  In Spanish and French all nouns are either masculine of feminine.
pronoun is a word used instead of a noun (see above), when you don't want to name something or someone directly.  There are different types of pronoun (listed below)
  • Personal - I, you, her, they etc.  They refer to the person you are talking to or other people and things.  They can be either subject pronouns (I, you, he, she etc) or object pronouns (him, her, them etc)
  • Possessive - mine, yours, his etc - which show who someone or something belongs to.
  • Indefinite - Something or nothing, which refer to people or things in  a general way.
  • Relative - who, which, that - which link two parts of a sentence together.
  • Demonstrative - this or those - which point things or people out.
  • Interrogative - who, what, which - which are used in questions.
  • Reflexive - a type of object pronoun that forms a part of Spanish reflexive verbs like "lavarse" (to wash) or French reflexive verbs like "appelle" (to be called).
reflexive verb is a verb where the subject and the object are the same and where the actions 'reflects back' on the subject.  It is used with a reflexive pronoun e.g. I washed myself, he shaved himself.  These are much more common in French and Spanish than in English.
An article is one of the words - the, a and an - which is given in front
  • definite article - the
  • indefinite article - a or an in English
An adjective is a 'describing' word.  It tells you more about a person or thing such as appearance, colour, size e.g. pretty, blue, big.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments

Comment Box Free